Greg is a legendary figure in Canadian legal circles, having practiced law
in Canada for over 45 years. In 1963, he graduated from the University of
Manitoba’s law program, and was admitted to practice law in Manitoba the same year.
He received his Masters of Law (LL.M) in 1965 and was called to the Ontario bar
in 1971 and to the Saskatchewan bar in 1977. As a senior partner at Walsh Micay,
Greg was appointed to Queen’s Counsel in 1976. His long list of appointments also includes:
- First President of the Manitoba Trial Lawyers’ Association (now known as the Criminal Defence Lawyers’
- Founding member and past President, Manitoba Medico-Legal Society
- Chairman, Manitoba Justice Section, Canadian Bar Association, 1969-1971
- Chairman, Criminal Justice Section, Canadian Bar Association, 1973-1974, 1980-1983
- Chairman, Judicial Committee, Law Society of Manitoba, 1981-1982
- Chairman, Legal Aid Liaison Committee, Law Society of Manitoba, 1982-1983
- Chairman, Discipline Committee, Law Society of Manitoba, 1979-1981
- Chairman, Lawyer Referral, Law Phone-in, Law Society of Manitoba, 1981
- Chairman, Ethics Committee, Law Society of Manitoba, 1984-1985
- Past President, Skills Unlimited
- Past President, Shaarey Zedek Synagogue
- Director, Sair Centre of Learning
- Life Bencher, Law Society of Manitoba
Greg also is a leading lecturer on various justice topics, including but not limited to mental
health issues, mental disorder defences, criminal law reform, child victims/evidence/corroboration,
DNA and fingerprint analysis, evidence and ethics.
Appearing at every level of the Canadian court system, Greg has revolutionalized the law in
Canada with precedent setting decisions such as R. v. Lavallee, creating a battered wife defence,
R. v. Starr, redefining reasonable doubt and clarifying Canada’s principled approach to the admission
of hearsay in court proceedings, and R. v. Chaulk, modernizing the not criminally responsible defence.
Greg also has set a record in the English-speaking world by litigating over 700 homicide cases throughout his career.
Click on the “News” tab above to read reports on many of the cases that Greg and his firm have handled.